August 28th

I don't count the days anymore. I just try and take it one day at a time and ignore duration of time passed because it's irrelevant and all happening in God's timing.

For those of you not following along via my Instagram stories...

After the covid test saga, we returned to rehab and Brian had a great week. He looked really great and everything seemed to be getting back to normal. We discussed a discharge plan for mid-September, which is still a work in progress (the short story - they feel they've exhausted all they can do medically for Brian and he just needs more time before he can return and participate in therapy once he's further along and awake). The good news is I believe we have found a local facility in Illinois that might be a good fit. There are a couple of options I'm exploring and feeling good about (but I mean...let's keep praying that God decides to wake Brian up between now and then, am I right!?)

Anyway, after this past hospital visit with the pneumonia and tracheitis, I became Brian's temperature police. If I wasn't in the room when they would take it, I would call them and get updates through the night to make sure he wasn't dropping low or spiking fevers. The first couple of days back, totally normal. But then Monday night, 95.3. Ugh. Low, but not terrible. Through the night, it elevated back to normal. No biggie.

Tuesday through the day, normal. But then Tuesday night, just before bed, 95.6. Okay, not crazy, but don't love it. Through the night, elevated to normal, max at 100 (but technically not a fever). My gut instinct was that something wasn't right since his body did this before he got sick. So I was a little unnerved. What now?

Wednesday totally normal day. Hooray! Before bed, vitals were perfect. Relief! 

Thursday I get an early morning phone call from the doctor: 'Brian's heart rate has been in the low 30s-40s all morning with low blood pressure. We gave him atropine, a medication that should elevate both of those things temporarily and we was not receptive to it so we are currently sending him to the ER again. The low heart rate he's experiencing is called bradycardia and we want cardiology to consult and figure out what might be causing it."

πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜“πŸ˜“πŸ’”πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­

I'll be honest. I felt numb. How could there be another thing bringing us to the ER, just one week after we finally left that hospital!? How is there another thing that blindsided me? This was really unexpected and outside the realm of things I imagined having to deal with within Brian's brain injury. But ok, let's pray through it and get it figured out. Every other time I've gotten these kinds of calls, I panicked. Cried, hyperventilated, etc. This time, I just walked numbly to the ER, praying for God to give me, but mostly Brian, the strength to endure this next trial. My brother, Erin and I spent the day with him as neurology, internal medicine doctors, cardiologists, ER doctors, and nurses examined Brian and tended to him. Reviewing labs, vitals, x-rays, CT scans...nothing. All of them scratching their heads. At one point they were talking possibly placing a pace maker. 

All the while, Brian's heart rate was staying in the low-mid 30s. I stared at the monitor all day watching it drop, worrying like crazy, not fully understanding what was happening. The silver lining: he started to respond to Atropine, the drug that didn't work in the morning. It magically started to work! It elevates the heart rate for up to 3hrs, so doctors were able to buy some time and come up with a plan. 

They decided to monitor him overnight in the cardiac CCU to keep a close eye on him, while neurology hooked up a constant EEG so they can monitor brain waves simultaneously to see if any of the heart issues were correlated to brain activity. Their best guess of the cause of the low heart rate (bradycardia) is dysautonomia, which is a result of Brian's brain injury (aka his brain's struggle to regulate certain things). 

This morning I called the nurse to see how his night was, and he did great! He didn't have any other low heart rate episodes, just one low temperature, but it didn't last long. He looked better today and so they admitted him to a normal floor in the hospital to keep an eye on him while doctor's adjust some meds to see if those may be contributing.

So no pace maker! And the problem is not stemming from his heart, which is a relief! Should be back to rehab again in a few days, barring any other issues. Please pray for stability! Pray that these things he's experiencing are signs of his brain healing and his emergence! 

Yesterday was hard. Today was a relief. Thanking God for making a way, for resolving yesterday's fears, for endless support, for all the progress to come!

Thank you for praying alongside me and rooting us on. I believe we (Brian) will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Praying that day is soon!!


Comments

  1. Praying for you both and hope this is a good sign

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian is blessed to have a strong heart, and he will not need a pace maker. Brian continues on the long hard road of recovery. Lauren, you are Brian's Guardian Angel. I am praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continually pray for you both. And thank you for your posts. It gives my prayers more specificity and direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for SHINGLES cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure SHINGLES is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure SHINGLES and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate SHINGLES forever. I never believed it until I was helped with natural herbal medicines , Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Natural herbs helped saved me and i am so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful herbs can also contact Dr Chike via Facebook page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy. Or text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this update. Praying for Brian to wake up very soon, and for a positive transfer to a good facility here in Illinois. And for you too of course. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, time is frozen for you and Brian I’m sureπŸ’™ just like when you two fell in love πŸ’™, but it’s frozen for a different reason now you both are battling to get back to each other and that love is freezing time. Lauren, I wish I could lift the weight off your body just so you could breath and move free for a moment. I wish I could wake Brian and see a post that he grabbed you and danced with you. I’m praying so hard for you both and your entire family and all the ISP family too. I’m praying for what you ask for and for the things I listed. I am sending you strength when you need it, hugs, and warm healing light to Brian! Tons of prayers for you both and everyone impacted by this. You inspire me Lauren! Thank you for that! πŸ™πŸΌπŸ•―πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always thinking of you and Brian, and praying he’s coming along, and waking soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 2004 my retired ISP master sergeant from District 5-Joliet had bypass surgery and suffered a stroke. In 2019 he lost his left leg to PAD. While neither remotely touches what you are going through and it’s natural not a stupid accident related injury, I know to a certain very minute degree the angst and suffering you are experiencing. God is your answer Lauren, then strength and then love. Your love for him and his for you. That of your friends and family. Your vision of life has been altered but you will find a new path for the two of you. Is it perfect and beautiful, no. But it is what you make it. You sound like an incredibly strong woman. He’s lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers continue for Brian to awake and put all of these setbacks behind you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW FUNDRAISER INITIAVE: Brian's Journey to NeuroSolutions in Austin, TX

Court Hearing // My Impact Statement

2nd Annual Bowling for Brain Fundraiser & More!