July 1st - Day 136

I don't even know what to say.  I have been dreading July.

July is our favorite month. The 4th is our favorite holiday. It's full of birthdays, including my own. It's the month we would be going up to Hayward to fish. This year was going to be our first year with the camper and our dog up there. In May I told our family that I just wanted him to emerge before my birthday. And there's still time for that to be so. 

But waking up on July 1st was rough. I never thought we would still be in this situation. But I still have hope. He is still showing us improvements, even if they're small, week over week. And I'm doing everything in my power to figure out the road ahead (which is much more intense, scary, challenging and labor intensive than any wife or family member should ever have to endure on top of the heartache).

I know everyone is itching for updates, so while I have a few free moments, here are the highlights:

  • Opened mouth on command 2x in OT this week
  • Overall, Brian is relaxing his jaw and mouth a lot more. Speech was able to get a spoon on his tongue 6x yesterday, which was a first EVER! He also smirked a few times spontaneously so it seems he's feeling out his facial muscles and mouth more!
  • Sneezed 3x this week! I haven't seen a sneeze at all ever since his accident!
  • Visual tracking is continuing to improve. Eyes appear to be very centered & blinking is more 'regular.' His startle/threat response is very sensitive which is great too!
  • His partner brought the K9 dog (Mac) that he usually works with for some more dog therapy with a familiar furry friend.
  • Tolerating standing positions well
  • Delayed decanulation (trach removal) due to some air trapping (aka unsafe to remove so he has an ENT scope to evaluate what might be causing this).
  • OT also had him hold a fishing pole. He successfully gripped the handle 3x and pushed the reel with his thumb 3x.
  • Another OT played guitar for him (Blink 182 songs) and had him strum the strings. He briefly held the guitar pick and vocalized during the session.
  • Tone in his arms & neck has improved but fluctuates day-to-day. He definitely has an increase of movement in his arms and fingers. It's hard to tease out what is command follow with thumbs up or arm movements because he is wiggling around almost all day.
  • When I give him a head rub/tickle, he hums slightly. He also seems to engage and focus on me when I talk to him during times when he is alert.
  • He almost never needs to be suctioned & I almost never see him posture anymore. His pain responses are more localized now.
  • Discharge has been extended to end of July.
  • Ambien drug trial is tomorrow (5% of TBI patients have a paradoxal / opposite affect to this drug so they are going to try it with Brian. Pray he's within that 5%!)
I think that's the gist of it! Please pray for his emergence this month. July is going to be, by far, the most difficult for me. But I am excited and eager to see more progress with each new day.

"For all the promise of God find their Yes in him. That is why through him we utter our Amen to God for his Glory." - 2 Corinthians 1:20

"Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart." - 2 Corinthians 4:1

"So we do not lose heart...For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison." - 2 Corinthian 4:16

"So death is at work in us, but life in you." - 2 Corinthians 4:12

Praying new life over my sweet husband, my greatest joy and best friend in this world. Lord, heal Brian & restore him completely. Emerge and awaken him before my birthday. Amen.



Comments

  1. You and Brian are in our families thoughts and prayers. Our church has been praying for Brian as well. God bless you Lauren. Thank you for the updates as they are answers to prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying always πŸ™ I'm always checking constantly for updates. My mom had a TBI in 2016 and I don't want to say I know what you're going through, because no one else truly does, but I am thinking of you, your husband and your family and continuing to pray for his emergence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update, and good to talk to you a little bit ago. Praying that Brian will emerge during your favorite month and before your birthday. Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers, always. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could just twinkle my nose and fix every heartache and heartbreak both of you are going through. (((big hugs))) I can however, praise and pray to our Heavenly Father for every plus you are given and petition for more! May God continue to bless you both with strength, healing and courage each day! πŸ’™πŸ™πŸ»πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am keeping my fingers and everything else crossed that Brian emerges before your birthday, Lauren! Hang in there sweetheart. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, I am so heartbroken that you (and Brian) are going through this. I can’t tell you how badly I want him to wake up quickly for you. I think of you and Brian everyday and pray that you will have him back again in a fully meaningful way. It is so sad that a careless person can change our lives in the blink of an eye. I hope someday you will be able to see the reason for all this. I wish so badly I could make this better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, be assured of our continued prayers for Brian, you & your families. He is on our Church prayer network!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for that 5% and that your favorite month is full of surprises πŸ’™. Sending you huge hugs Lauren!!!!!! You are amazing! πŸ•―πŸ™πŸΌπŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love πŸ’˜ and prayers for you and Brian daily πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emergence is the July prayer buzz word! C'mon Brian!!πŸ₯°πŸ’•☮️πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think of you both everyday and check in often. I'll continue to pray for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't have anything else to add that has not been already said. I'm glad he will be staying on at Shirley Ryan a little longer. I know I don't have to tell you that they are the best in the country, if not the world! As someone else has said, I think of you both every day and check in often for any updates. I, also, will continue to remember you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brian held a guitar pick?!!! 😊 Praying for continued miracles. God sends them and see them. I can’t imagine what this is like for you. You and Brian are the strongest people I know. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. So encouraging! Thank you for sharing and July will turn out to be great, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m thinking about you and Brian often! Always sending well wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NEW FUNDRAISER INITIAVE: Brian's Journey to NeuroSolutions in Austin, TX

Court Hearing // My Impact Statement

2nd Annual Bowling for Brain Fundraiser & More!